Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cable tracing through a building

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:48:55 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I really like the AM radio idea in conjunction with a noise source,
and while I don't have a Ford coil around I'm sure that I could
come up with a coil and some type of interrupter to do the spark.

Ummm, I said function generator or maybe RF generator. In case you
haven't heard, spark transmissions are banned by the FCC.

However as was mentioned in the thread, using 15KV I don't want
to blow a hole through the cable either. That might make a few
nice unwanted notch filters for God only knows what frequencies...

It would melt the insulation and cause a short as the center conductor
migrates towards the shield on corners.

The EM door buzzer sounds like a pretty non destructive idea, but
how would I connect it to the cable?

Clip leads.

I have a function generator, but I don't know if it will cover this
band.

Most function generators will go to 1MHz.

I also have an AM signal generator that unlike my boat anchor
Marconi, is portable. I can internally modulate it at 400HZ.

Good enough.

I understand the procedure you've outlined reversing the shield,
levels, etc, so why couldn't I use a standard AM signal generator?

I didn't know you had an RF generator. Whatever you have. Just don't
use a 100 watt HF transceiver.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558