Wally

Default Question about a jointer and planer problem

Both the planer and the jointer are almost new. They didn't even see
30 bf. so far. The blade aren't nicked. The ripples are perpendicular
to the board planed/jointed and they are also very close to each other
(1/32" to 1/16" max). I'm planing maple at the moment and the board I
selected have some interesting features (bird's eye and some other
wild grain figures). I guess it may be related to the wood structure.
I also some internal tension as well...

Thanks for your help!

Wally

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 03:06:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
In a few places the surface of the wood has some small ripples. I
tried changing the speed at which I feed the stock and I don't seem to
see any difference. The funny part is this rippling isn't all over the
board but just in a few places. It happens with both the jointer and
the planer. I can get rid of them by sanding though.

Anybody can explain me why I get this results.

By ripples, do you mean about 1/32" wide and high? Runs the length of the
board? Sounds like it is time to replace the blades as they are nicked. In
the case of the planer, they can be reversed. If both sides are reasonably
sharp but just has a nick, reverse only one of them and much of the ripple
will go away.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
.