Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Eyeware For Close Work On Very Small Objects?

On 11/19/2013 12:15 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Being nearsighted, I've been able to slide along on close work until
now.

Just replaced the USB receptacle on my smart phone and was reduced to
using this huge magnifier mounted on a light.

Better than nothing, but clumsy and lacking in depth perception.

My dentist has these binocular-looking things that hang over his regular
glasses.

Anybody have something that works in this respect and which does not
cost an arm and a leg?

I've used the opti-visor type things for a while, and they work
for quick tasks that aren't real difficult. But, I do a lot of
microsurgery on electronic gear, soldering and inspecting stuff
down to 0.4mm lead pitch. The opti-visor just won't do for that
kind of stuff. I got a used Olympus stereo zoom microscope from
a guy who repairs and sells microscopes that I got hooked up with
by asking questions on eBay auctions. He sold me one that was
missing the mounting base. I made a simple base, then made a much
better one later from a scrapped lathe chuck and an arm made from
a MacPherson strut rod. I made a ring light from a bit of PC board
and 8 white LEDs. I use this every day, sometimes for hours, and
it is just great. (I've even done some actual surgery picking
splinters out of my own and family member's fingers.)

At work we have a $500 Chinese stereo zoom microscope with stand
and ring light. The fluorescent ring light ate up too much of
the valuable working distance, so I made another LED ring light.
I was real skeptical of this unit on eBay, but was surprised by
the quality. Both the general mechanical stuff as well as the
optics work VERY well.

So, if you need to do a lot of this inspection and rework stuff,
I strongly recommend a stereo zoom microscope. There are constantly
units on eBay to choose from.

Jon

I have several of the plastic headband ones.
One thing to watch out for...
Put it on your head and check the clearance
between the headband and the hood with the lenses.
They're designed to just swing up and out of the way.
Problem with some is that there's interference
between the headband and the hood that swings up.
Takes two hands to move it out of the way.
And you can't tell in the package, cause the band
deforms when you tighten it on your head.

I also have an optical stereo zoom microscope.
Very handy for inspection, but it's very hard to work under.
It's just too close. And mine has an accessory lens that extends
that distance somewhat. Still hard to get tools under it.
And I worry about the smoke from soldering messing up the lens.

Second issue is lighting. Your hands are always in the way.
I solved that problem with a fiber-optic light that surrounds
the lens.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!