Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_2_] Michael Chare[_2_] is offline

Default WallStar oil boiler diagnosis

On 19/11/2013 21:49, Calvin wrote:
Hi,

My WallStar oil boiler (through-the-wall but otherwise conventional, non-condensing, not "system") has developed a fault which I feel is probably easy to fix if someone can help me understand how it's meant to work...

It locks out at some point but then is quite happy to start again if I press the lockout button (inside the outer cover on the burner itself). I've been "playing" and I get the feeling that it behaves itself better if the temperature control is set lower, although at the moment that's just my impression.
I wondered if the flow rate might be compromised somehow (maybe pump going faulty) but I can't hear any kettling.

Any ideas or pointers anyone? Please.

Dirty photcell? The jet should be changed regularly to avoid this (i.e.
every 1 or 2 years)

Blocked filter in the oil supply. The filters also need to be changed
regularly. Say ever 2 years.

Burner lockouts which you cancel by pressing a button on the burner
itself are generally caused by the flame going out. This is not a water
side problem.

Normally the boiler will stop when it gets to a specific temperature.
If that thermostat does not work there is generally a 2nd thermostat
which may have to be reset if it is tripped.

Do you have installation and maintenance manuals for the boiler and the
burner? You may be able to download them if you don't

--
Michael Chare