Posted to alt.home.repair
thumper thumper is offline

Default Beam size for a 14' span in basement.

replying to Thumper, thumper wrote:
Thumper wrote:

I am finishing my basement and want to remove a support post. It is a split
level house and has a hidden beam in the basement now which consists of

4-2x10
in the middle of the house. The house is 24' wide. It supports the main

floor
and the roof. I am in southern Minnesota so there is a good amount of

snow. I
would like to use a steel I beam to keep the most head room I can. If I

could
get a 6" beam to do the job it would be best but an 8 inch would be ok. I

know
that I will need an engineer to size the beam before I do this but I would

like
to get an idea of how much it will cost to see if it is worth doing before

spend money on an engineer. Thanks

--
Ok I read my original post and realized I did not explained my self very
well. I took some pictures maybe they will help. The joists are 2x10 and