Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leif Neland Leif Neland is offline

Default Cable tracing through a building

John Robertson sendte dette med sin computer:
On 11/19/2013 11:00 AM, wrote:
I know that there must be equipment designed to do this, but I'm not really
in a position to make a purchase like that. Does anyone have any
suggestions for finding this cable? Thanks, Lenny

Use a spark generator tied to the shield and an AM pocket radio...if you have
an old Model T Ford ignition coil (OK, my junk box, what's in yours?) that
makes a great noise generator. The AM radio will happily track the wire
antenna...

I guess he wants to use the cable again, without having the insulation
burnt by sparks

But I'm using the same trick when finding breaks in the loop for my
automatic lawnmower.

I can usually hear the spark even if it is underground.

I'm using an electric cattle fence generator, around 6kW.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.