View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Cable tracing through a building

On 11/19/2013 11:00 AM, wrote:
We have a piece of RG6 Quad in one area of a building and we can't seem to find the other end of it. I thought that I knew where it went as I installed all these cables, but it's just not there. I have a small tone generator and an inductive probe that work well on unshielded wire, but attempts at using this on shielded cable have always been a problem. I've been thinking of trying to set my old HP200CD audio oscillator to 1KHZ and really crank it up and feed it into the cable. The 200CD will output a respectable signal across 600 ohms, (naturally I'd be using it unterminated here), and I wonder if I'd be able to pick it up through the cable then?

The only other thing I can think of,(and this is probably not very practical) is to inject a high enough RF frequency into the cable at a level where it would egress. Perhaps I might be able to see this on my spectrum analyzer. Of course I realize that the superior shielding of the quad cable is working against me here too.

I know that there must be equipment designed to do this, but I'm not really in a position to make a purchase like that. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding this cable? Thanks, Lenny

Use a spark generator tied to the shield and an AM pocket radio...if you
have an old Model T Ford ignition coil (OK, my junk box, what's in
yours?) that makes a great noise generator. The AM radio will happily
track the wire antenna...

An EM door buzzer could work too as a noise source - or a dog fence:

http://www.dogfencediy.com/maintenance/finding-break/

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."