Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb[_2_] Rich Webb[_2_] is offline

Default Eyeware For Close Work On Very Small Objects?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:25:59 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Being nearsighted, I've been able to slide along on close work until
now.

Just replaced the USB receptacle on my smart phone and was reduced to
using this huge magnifier mounted on a light.

Better than nothing, but clumsy and lacking in depth perception.

My dentist has these binocular-looking things that hang over his regular
glasses.

Anybody have something that works in this respect and which does not
cost an arm and a leg?

Get an Optivisor. http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor
You might luck out with one of the inexpensive look-alikes that use
cast acrylic lenses and find one that doesn't have noticeable
distortion, and they're certainly worth checking out. But spend a
little more and get real optical glass. Your missing headache will
thank you. I like the 5 diopter (2.5x) for enough magnification and a
decent working distance.