View Single Post
  #30   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Here's what I'm not getting at the moment. What are the connections to that transformer? If it is 3 phase leg to neutral on the primary side, then the center tap should be above neutral on the secondary (house) side, right? Which would mean that house neutral is NOT at ground level. But I'm pretty sure it is.

your confusion is becasue you don't understand how a transformer works. The pri and secondary are isolated from each other. The center tap of the sec has NO RELATIONSHIP to the primary. Think of the secondary as seperate floating power supply not related to the primary. The center tap of the secondary is neutral or ground ONLY becasue it gets connected to ground. Since it is connected to ground the two ends become +120 and -120 relative to neutral.

Mark
Mark:

I find the first diagram on this web page that was posted by SRN helpful:

http://www.samlexamerica.com/support...Circuit s.pdf

It shows the primary side of the distribution transformer connected between the 7200 VAC carried by the single phase wire and ground.

What I can't figure out here, tho, is that if the distribution transformer on the telephone pole is connected to ground, then it's connected via the ground wire that goes down the pole and is wrapped around the base of the telephone pole. So far as I know, that ground wire is not insulated, so that anyone that touches that ground wire would get a 7200 volt shock, which would surely kill them.

So, I think that wiring diagram is mostly correct, but I think there's a problem with the primary side of the transformer connected to ground via the telephone pole's grounding wire.