Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Follow-up on eye exercises

RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 05:36:35 -0700, bob haller
wrote:
Crew members on the international space station are not only
required to do X amount of exercising daily like running teathered
on a treadmill, but spend time looking on a device to exercise their
eyes. otherwise they cold loose the abilty to see things that are far away.
like a few hundred feet. although theycoul still see the earth at a
couple hundred miles away.

use it or loose it.......

Didn't know that.

I started questioning the whole concept of wearing eyeglasses when I
first heard about split personality people having some characters
with 20/20 and some characters that required coke bottle bottom
glasses. Seemed like something more than 'camera construction'
concept going on here. Then later, from a TV ad showing 'glasses'
with tiny holes to relax the muscles in your eyes and remove the bias
placed upon them by your glasses. Wearing those glasses for even a
short time did some wild things to my eyes in straightening out the
damage from using the 'crutches' of eyeglasses for so many years.

For example, I am slightly near-sighted and have astigmatism in the
left eye. The left eye saw a standard TV not as 4:3 but actually as
3:4 it was so bad. Playing pool the left hand corner looks about 6
inches lower, downhill, those kinds of distortion. However, the left
eye did NOT see any distortion if a pinhole opening were placed in
front of it. That intrigued me, plus I could just as easily read the
labels [tiny printing] on boxes across the room as be able to read a
six point type in a telephone book in front of me! Something else is
going on here. Those glasses, as primitive as they were, actually
reduced my near-sightedness from being restricted driver to not
restricted AND softened the astigmatism so the TV looked more square
than 3:4, but moving the right direction.
Which brings me to the point, Eye exercisers exist! Can we get that
for our home computers? Everybody spends at least an hour in front of
one, why not 'exercize the eyes while there? Like, wear a set of
plain piezo-glass LCD lenses alternatingly blank each eye and
simultaneously flex the 'lens' to focus near, focus far?

Now THAT would help a lot of people.

There are programs for that. Not sure how they would accomplish the near-far
stretches.