Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:11:06 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, November 18, 2013 1:54:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:39:55 -0800 (PST), TimR

wrote:

I hate to display ignorance, and I know I should know this.

But maybe somebody can explain.

The power lines are 3 phase, meaning they're 120 degrees out of phase to each other

Yes.

allowing 3 wires to carry what 6 wires should (since they're generated by 3 sets of coils at the power plant).

Kinda sorta.

The house is fed by just one of these wires, through a center tap transformer.

Yes.

That transformer sends 3 wires to the house: Neutral, +120 volts, -120 volts.

Well... There are two AC wires that are opposite, yes. If you said

they were +120wt and -120wt, you would have a point (w being the

angular frequency, or 2*Pi*f and t=time).

And if you said they were 180 different in phase from
each other, relative to the neutral, you would also be correct.

Wrong.

KRW only understands opposites, not phase.

No, unlike the stupid lying ass, Trader, I know the difference.
more lies snipped