Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Can a 3 phase motor be somehow used as a generator?

On 2013-11-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus26083 fired this volley in

:

For me, number one question is whether it is possible to get decent AC

(1 or 3 phase), with some excitation. Efficiency is a secondary question.

If you excite all three windings, yes.

Right. If I connect the motor to the grid, and run it at above the

synchronous speed, it will feed energy to the grid and I can get paid

for it (or reduce my electric bill).

But what if there is no electrical grid, can I somehow make it excite

itself?

As an engineering student I was on a tour of one of the Roseton NY power plants.
Got to look through a small window at the astonishingly small alternator at the end of the turbine shaft.

Stuck onto the end of the alternator shaft was an even smaller excitation generator.