Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Beam size for a 14' span in basement.

On 11/18/2013 1:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Consider bolting steel plates on each side of the existing beam. I.e.,
make a sandwich. Lot less work than 'remove and replace'.
Ivan Vegvary

Ivan has the most practical way and the least cost and amount of work.
He beat me to answering this. WW

That does not address the origional problem.

I think what the person wants to do is replace a wood beam that is 10 inches
thick with something that is 6 inches or maybe 8 inches thick to get more
head room.

He wanted to eliminate a center support as primary, headroom would be
secondary if possible. . This may allow for that. I have a similar
situation in my family room. I've lived with it for 32 years, but at
times I think I'd like to get rid of it adding a steel beam. There are
three other supports, but they do not intrude and can be left alone.