Posted to alt.home.repair
Hot-Text[_4_] Hot-Text[_4_] is offline

Default Beam size for a 14' span in basement.

"Thumper" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am finishing my basement and want to remove a support post. It is a
split level house and has a hidden beam in the basement now which consists
of 4-2x10 in the middle of the house. The house is 24' wide. It supports
the main floor and the roof. I am in southern Minnesota so there is a good
amount of snow. I would like to use a steel I beam to keep the most head
room I can. If I could get a 6" beam to do the job it would be best but an
8 inch would be ok. I know that I will need an engineer to size the beam
before I do this but I would like to get an idea of how much it will cost
to see if it is worth doing before I spend money on an engineer. Thanks

12" Steel I beam for 14'