Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

Danny D'Amico wrote:
Here is a picture of the incoming wires to my main circuit breaker:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2886/1...21cf1404_o.gif

If we follow those three wires *back* to the nearest transformer, what
do they look like (in terms of phase relationship to each other)?

If we follow those three wires *forward* to the first circuit breaker,
what do they look like (in terms of connection to the literal earth of
the ground)?

Note: This question is an offshoot of a 220v dryer question; but this
question is asked to get to the root of *what* it is that is entering
the house in the first place.

Hmmm,
Your question has been answered more than once throughout this thread.
If still did not get it. You really ought to follow the wires upto the
main breaker panel. One note: Gnd and Neutral is connected together but
they are not same in functionality in the circuit.