Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

Here is a picture of the incoming wires to my main circuit breaker:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2886/1...21cf1404_o.gif

If we follow those three wires *back* to the nearest transformer, what
do they look like (in terms of phase relationship to each other)?

If we follow those three wires *forward* to the first circuit breaker,
what do they look like (in terms of connection to the literal earth of
the ground)?

Note: This question is an offshoot of a 220v dryer question; but this
question is asked to get to the root of *what* it is that is entering
the house in the first place.