Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a 3 phase motor be somehow used as a generator?

Jon Elson fired this volley in
:

Actually, most of the wind turbines made in the last few years
use induction alternators. Now, I can easily believe these were
made SPECIFICALLY for this use, so that might make a big
difference.

Y'think?

I stick with my original answer. The short answer is "NO!"

You _can_ generate power with an induction motor, but everything about it
is wonky, including the phase angles, the frequency at optimum
efficiency, and the amount of power per horsepower you'll get.

It's just not worth it, unless you find a PM armature motor, or an
authentic slip-ring, wound-armature type. It's a silly waste of time to
make what you can buy for less than your hourly rate.

Lloyd