Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Can a 3 phase motor be somehow used as a generator?

On 11/16/2013 7:42 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 20:35:37 -0600, Ignoramus26083

On 2013-11-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
PS...
Bob's right that they _can_ be made to self-excite with a DC supply to kick
them, and DC external circuitry to continue the excitation, but their
energy density sucks.

For me, number one question is whether it is possible to get decent AC
(1 or 3 phase), with some excitation. Efficiency is a secondary question.

Similar to what you're talking about, see these 12v systems.

Look at some of the hand powered generators on YouTube, Ig. Take an
old automotive alternator and create backup power from it.

http://www.prestowind.com/ American made systems. Good pricing.
Perfect to back up a solar/battery power system.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

It's been 40 years, so I can't give you any details...but I
remember something about the optimum angle between the field and the
armature being different whether a device is used as a motor
or a generator.