Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Honeywell circuit board wiring harness short Bryant furnace

Nightcrawler® wrote:

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Tony,

If you haven't soldered before and have little DIY experience, it's
not easy to advise you to pursue technical solutions. Here's something
easy you can do. Buy a can of electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack,
most hardware stores). Turn off the power to the furnace. Disconnect
the offending plug. Spray the connector at the pc board and spray the
plug connections. Now plug and unplug a bunch of times with some
wiggling action. If you are lucky you will remove the corrosion that
is causing yur problem. Now plug the plug in firmly. Restore power and
hope for the best.
If that doesn't work I'd recommend finding an honest competent
repair guy.

Dave M.

Another thing to do is, as suggested, disconnect all power, and remove
the board from the chassis, and look at the back side of the board where
the connector is. Look for burnt traces.

Usually these connectors (Molex) are of a bullet type of terminal inside
the housing, where the board side as metal tubes that the plug side, which
has split tubes, that slide over the metal tubes on the board side. The
clamping strength of the connector side will weaken over time and sometimes
you just need to get a small, metal object (ice pick) into the Molex and
gently pry them closer together so that they may make better contact.
Of course,
follow David's instructions, also.

Hmm,
When I replaced a board on my old z Carrier furnace a pig tail
cable extender was inclded with the replacement boards. It had
M connector at one end and F at the other. Just to make the
harness longer.