Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Shocked!

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Robert Green" wrote in message
Not necessarily. A bit of leakage is almost considered normal on some
electrical equipment - and it may not even BE real leakage - it could
be inductive or capacitive inductance

What types of equipment would do that?

Some equipment will have some low value capacitors going from the AC

wiring
to the chassie. This creats a low value of leakage curent. If the
equipment has the proper 3 wire plug , there is no problem. Without the
ground wire, you could feel a tingle if you got between the device and
ground.

Thanks. I have noticed some stereo/radio equipment will have neon pilot
lights that take a few seconds to extinguish after the power cord is
unplugged so I assume that's some sort of capacitor discharge occurring. I
would imagine that to receive a UL listing the equipment can't present any
sort of real shock hazard in that state - just a tingle as the residual
charge dissipates.

--
Bobby G.