Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocked!

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:08:44 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message

On 10-29-2013, 18:02, wrote:

Good grief. Did you follow the thread? The excerpts

Since you are more interested in argument than communication, I'm going

elsewhere.

--

Wes Groleau

Thanks for reminding me to take the high road. (-: I have been sorely

tempted to reply to Charlie Brown g but you and others have made it clear

I don't need to and shouldn't. It would generate lots of heat but very

little light. This place is already as troll-infested as Somalia it

pirate-infested and for much the same reason.

On the positive side, there's still plenty of valuable discussion left in

this thread. The subject of tingling pipes, even though the original post

was probably a troll, is a good "safety drill" sort of discussion. I've

certainly developed a new perspective - shut off the power, call the

electric company and don't screw around - especially if there are other

people in the house. One of the worst outcomes I can imagine is to think

the problem was inside the house and that you solved it when in fact it was

external and intermittent, making it seem solved, and when it next occurs,

you get zapped.

If the wiring in the house is done to code, grounded correctly, etc,
it's virtually impossible for the cause of his energized water pipes
to be caused by something external.

There's a tendency with the many folks here (raises hand) who like to solve

problems to get lost in the weeds.

That would be you. "go look for any ground connection to water pipes!
That's no longer code!"

Check the NEC for how it is not only code, but required in many cases.

They focus in on one aspect of the

problem and then think details and forget the big picture. In this case

there's significant lethality at risk with energized pipes.

Wow, you figure that out?

Unless the guy

making the post clearly indicates he's a pretty good DIY electrician (by

what he says and not just what he thinks of himself) I think the only right

answer is "shut her down" and get the pros.

Then if the guy doesn't know anything, why did you send him looking
for ground connections to water pipes that are "no longer code"?
Good grief.

Working through the details of this hypothetical incident makes people

better prepared for real emergencies and that's a good thing. I'll bet

more than one reader learned about how the changing nature of plumbing

materials effects the home's wiring. I still have to figure out when to

trust the new pen meter that Nate turned me onto. It detects voltage from

12VDC UPS batteries on the highest setting. (-:

Finally, there's also a great deal of satisfaction in taking a dumb "cry

wolf" troll post and turning it into a learning discussion. I am sure that

was never "Fred's" intention.

--

Bobby G.

Interesting how easily the ignorant are amused.