Posted to alt.home.repair
Nightcrawler® Nightcrawler® is offline

Default Honeywell circuit board wiring harness short Bryant furnace

"Tony Discenza" wrote in message ...

snip

In the case of the furnace not firing, I called the local HVAC repair people. The technician was puzzled. As he fiddled around
with the main switch affixed to the side of the furnace, the unit fired. He assumed there was a short in that switch and after
cutting power to the unit, proceeded to swap out the switch with a new one. When power was restored, the unit continued not to
fire when called upon to do so. He then removed a cover panel that exposed a circuit board (Honeywell ST9103A). He poked at a
wiring harness that is connected to the board (harness attached in upper right of board in photo linked below) and by wiggling
same, the unit fired. Jiggling the harness resulted in the unit kicking on and off, on and off, in "fits and starts" as if there
were a faulty connection somewhere. He positioned the harness in such a way as to ensure the unit would fire (at least at that
time), replaced the cover panel, and wrote me a bill for $164. The bill read "found there to be a loose connection on wiring
harness, corrected problem, unit running well."

You got robbed. The problem was not corrected and a more verbose description of said
problem should have been given and a note should have been added that the unit was
functional, but not repaired.

While I can't argue with his assessment of the situation, I've learned to poke around a little myself next time before making a
phone call that I know will result in a minimum $85 just for the call.

With that said, this morning the unit failed once again to fire. I accessed the panel myself and by wiggling the wiring harness,
all systems are again GO. What is the long-term fix here? Do I attempt to replace the board ($80 for a replacement)? Do I
purchase a new wiring harness and replace that? Both? Is either job very complicated? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

First, I would try to isolate the problem. Try and manipulate the connector without
disturbing the wiring.

If nothing happens, try and manipulate each individual wire with a pair of needle
nose pliers; moving left to right, up/down, and in and out. Do this at the connector
first, and not knowing if there are two connectors, then the second connector or the
solder points on the board.

So, I guess I should ask. Are there two connectors?