Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:00:26 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Go here and learn.
http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/wire-a-dryer-cord.html

Thank you so much for finding that reference for us!
I was getting confused, by the conflicting information.
This is what my wires look like at the dryer:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/1...5821a83c_o.gif

I'll need to go back there and doublecheck that the white wire
that is connected to the frame is also connected to that middle
(white) wire (neutral?) which is surrounded by two black wires (hot).

I don't see any provision for a strap from the dryer frame to the center
neutral connection for that particular dryer. It would be good to know where
that white wire that is under the ground screw comes from.

I have not seen it, but can you give the make and model of the dryer so I
can look for a wiring diagram for it ? If you have the book for it, it may
have the diagram in it for a 4 and 3 wire hookup.

As someone else said, I would run a wire from the dryer to a ground
somewhere.