Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher - don't rinse first?

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:36:27 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 20:58:51 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I don't know about the "schmutz" factor nor your laziness claim, but

Consumer Reports says it's about the energy that's wasted when pre-rinsing.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-job/index.htm

Not only do you waste water (6000 gallons per year?) but you waste the

energy required to heat it.

Consumer Reports uses the worst possible scenario figures. No reason to

heat the rinse water. Where did the 16 gallons a day come from? I bet I

don't use half a gallon on the worst day. I gave up reading CR decades

ago for just that reason. Can't trust them.

That why I added the ? after the 6000. Sounded outrageous high to me too.

However, the comments related to the wasting of water and energy if you use

hot water to rinse, as I'm sure many, many people do, is valid.

The reason most people will use hot water when rinsing dishes by
hand is that it's not very comfortable running cold water over your
hands in winter. And I know people who just about wash them clean
before putting them in the dishwasher, which is done easier with warm
water than cold. Grease doesn't come off very well with cold water.