Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/14/2013 11:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Please be careful listening to this person. Three
wire dryer connection has two hots and a ground.
No neutral. And, you'd never deliberately connect
a neutral to the frame or case.

Hate to inform you, but in a 3 wire dryer socket there are 2 hots and a
neutral. There is no ground.
Go here and learn.
http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/wire-a-dryer-cord.html

Also notice the picture where the frame of the dryer is attached to the
neutral wire.

Well, golly gee!
http://www.ezdiyelectricity.com/?p=221

http://electrical.about.com/od/appli...ercordss_4.htm

It sure seemed counter intuitive that the third prong would be neutral,
and the device is ungrounded. But, I found a couple web sites that say
it is. And says that it bonds the neutral to the frame. Go figure.

Well, thanks for showing me some thing new. I
find myself with egg on my face.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...ss-d536n7e.jpg

Good thing I've been recently instructed how to apologize.

http://youqueen.com/wp-content/uploa...-Apologize.jpg

--
..
Christopher A. Young