Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/14/2013 8:25 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:55:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd pull the plug, check for continuity between
power and ground prongs of the plug. I'd also
open up the case, and look for bare, burnt,
or loose wires.

This is the 3-pronged 220 volt cord connected to this dryer:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/1...a63d0028_o.gif

I think, IIRC, two of the prongs are 120 volt hot wires, 120 degrees
out of phase (that's the 220 volts); while the third, I think, is a
neutral wire.

So, I think, IIRC, the 120V circuitry in the dryer (e.g., the light
bulb and the controls and perhaps even the motor) run off one of
the hot wires and the neutral; while the heater runs off the full
220 volts from the two hot wires and the neutral.

So, there is no ground that I know of, if I understood this correctly.
That's why I asked if you guys ADD a ground wire in this situation?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3753/1...473a60a8_o.gif

You're out of your field of training, here, my friend. I'd suggest you
find someone you can trust, who knows some about electricity.

Two hots, and a ground. No neutral wire.

--
..
Christopher A. Young