Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/14/2013 3:44 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
The wife said the dryer was sparking "in the back".
I moved things around, but didn't see anything so I tell the wife not to worry.

A week later, I turn on the 220v 3-wire dryer, and a single bright white spark
snaps in the back, between the dryer and the 4-foot 6-inch diameter aluminum
corrugated lint pipe connect to the outside vent.

Huh?

Could it be static electricity?
Could it be the dryer frame is hot?
What do I test?

The only connection to the wall is the three-pronged 220v dryer cord, which
looks perfectly fine when I remove it from the wall outlet.

There is no specific "ground" wire from the dryer to anything (should I have
put a ground wire in to the 120 volt outlet nearby?).

What would you test?
If you need pictures, just ask.

My gut sense, is that something is loose inside
the dryer. Something (sounds like) is touching
the case of the dryer, and charging it.

I'd pull the plug, check for continuity between
power and ground prongs of the plug. I'd also
open up the case, and look for bare, burnt,
or loose wires.

Do you have any friends with electrical skills?

--
..
Christopher A. Young