Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher - don't rinse first?

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:20:46 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

Have seen lately publicity for new dishwashers that actually WANT the

user to not rinse off particlate matter before placing item in DW.

They seem to claim that the DW is actually DESIGNED to work better

with a lil' bit of schmutz.

I can see catering to very lazy people by not requiring rinsing before

insertion, but redesigning the whole thing for them?

People that know you don't need to rinse are "lazy"?

You're weird.

I've never rinsed dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
They come out nice and clean. It seems to me people that wash
them are wasting their time and hot water/energy, doing unnecessary
work. I just scrape off anything large, that's it.

On the other hand, I've seen people who practically wash
the dishes clean by hand before putting them in the
dishwasher. That's nuts to me.

This sounds nuts to me. Is it true? If so, is there a solid

technical reason why the DW is so designed?

http://tinyurl.com/c5ch36w

Rinsing dishes before loading the dishwasher can do more harm than good.

Today's advanced detergents are designed to attack food particles left

on dishes. "If there isn't food soil, they tend to attack glasses,"

says Edwards. "Some glasses are more susceptible to this kind of

attacking than others."

Sounds a little fishy to me.

I'd say it's more than a little fishy. The vast majority of
dishes are only going to have food on a small portion of the
surface. To rely on food covering the dishes to prevent
damage would be nuts.

But rinsing when you don't need to is a waste of time, water, and energy.

+1