Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:04:44 +0000, alan wrote:

I've been stuck at a level crossing for five minutes BEFORE any sign of
a train. If this is common is it any wonder why people think they have a
large margin of safety when jumping lights.

Have you any idea how long it takes a proper train not a few multiple
units to stop? I was on a 125 on the GWR, it wasn't going flat out
but probably over 100 mph, Suddenly the brakes came on, they didn't
ease on like they normally do. Then they came on a bit harder,
definate braking sensation and that distinctive odour started to
creep into the compartment. Then harder again, I was in a forward
facing seat and had to stiffen my back against the braking. The noise
and vibration was a little worrying, this train was trying really
very hard to stop. Then they eased off and we were down to maybe 10
mph. To get down to that speed took a good couple of minutes, we
crawled along for a couple more and then went across a level
crossing. Never found out the reason but I suspect something had not
gone right with closing the barriers or some twonk had jumped 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave.