Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT Speed awareness courses

"SteveW" wrote in message
On 11/11/2013 20:35, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:48:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon...
mutter

You have the NIP or have you just been filmed:-).

The very friendly Dayglo-clad man hidden in a hedge told me, once he'd
put his hairdryer down.

If I get the offer I will attend the SAC course. If only to prove your
working hypothesis about re-testing of all drivers. What do you think -
a re-test every 10 years? I would be happy to re-test.

I don't like the idea of a re-test. I have done one myself (I was training
to be a driving instructor when I was unemployed, but then found work in
my normal line). The reason I don't like it is that I know that many
people who get nervous would fail unfairly. I know my wife would fail and
that would mean her losing her job, depite the fact that she is actually a
very good and safe driver (I get very uncomfortable as a passenger with
most other drivers). She would simply panic. She is very nervous about
driving anywhere she doesn't know, but perfectly capable of driving where
she needs for work, because it is all in a limited area that she knows. If
she needs to go somewhere new, she travels with a colleague for the first
visit or gets me to take her in after work. She knows her limits and
sticks within them.

Then she needs to employ the services of a driving instructor (friendly folk
but not free). The driving test did alter a few years ago and introduced a
bit where the driver had to make their own decisions where to go
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11462155

And all I got last Thursday was a yellow sign saying "A11 to A12 N Bound
slip road closed at Bow use alternative route". No diversions were given,
there was just that sign. Time for the map book as the Sat Nav is a waste of
space in London. I just diverted up Grove Road and joined the A12 here.

--
Adam

---