Frank McVey

Default Steam bending kiln dried oak?

I've had good luck with steam-bending green timber, preferably ash. Less so
with air-dried, and very little with kiln-dried.

Cheers

Frank

"Jim Martin" wrote in message
Hello All;

A buddy of mine is building some chairs with steam bent arms. He is using
1/4 sawn kiln dried white oak and is having a heck of a time getting them

bend. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not kiln fried wood
will bend (he does not need much of a bend). Any of you have luck steam
bending kiln dried wood? Was there a trick to it? Maybe you steam longer
than the 1 hour per inch of thickness rule of themb? In my own experience

have bent green oak and then years later bent wood from the same batch (I
guess by then it was air dried because I live in Utah where 20% rh is
considered muggy). The air dried behaved a little differently but not too
much.

Thanks in advance,

Jim