Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:09:05 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/07/2013 12:47 PM, willshak wrote:
I have used Estwing framing hammers for years when working for a general
contractor on my days off. I even hired him to build my house and I got
paid for helping him build it.
My Estwings are 22 ounce. I have 2 framing hammers, one with a smooth
face and the other a milled face. I also have an Estwing drywall hammer.
They are all single forgings of steel, all have a blue rubber shock
absorber on the lower part of the handle.

I don't think rubber would hold up very long as a handle coating; my
Estwing, purchased 20-some odd years ago, uses Nylon on the handle, as
stated on the bottom.

Jon

You are right. I said rubber without looking at the hammer, but it is Nylon.
I bought the Estwings sometime before 1984 (when I built my house), so
they are about 29 years old. The blue material is still in one piece.

I have a fiberglass Craftsman hammer I bought 40 years ago that's
still my go to hammer. The rubber grip is still in good shape. I
have its twin (curved claw) that's almost as old and in just as good
shape. There's no reason a decent hammer won't last a lifetime if
it's taken care of.