Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Speed awareness courses

Huge wrote:
On 2013-11-11, John Williamson wrote:
Huge wrote:
What are those things that fiddle with the valving on diesel engines to
create engine braking? Make the most appalling racket; seems like they
convert kinetic energy into noise!

[Googles]

Ahhhh ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_brake

They don't fiddle with the valves,

Actually, if you read the 'pedia article, that's exactly what they do.

I've never seen an engine fitted with a Jake Brake in the UK. But you
are right that they do alter the exhaust valve arrangements

On the other hand, the universal fitting here in the UK seems to be the
exhaust brake:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_brake

And in forty years driving, I've never seen any other form of engine
brake fitted to a vehicle here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.