Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
geoff geoff is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor
wrote:

In the days when computing power was far more limited than it is
now, it was a neccessity. But since I've had no problems doing all
my multi-track audio work on generic computers for the last decade,
I'm not in a hurry to go down the expensive, locked in, hope they
might give you what you want/need someday path ever again. Because
so many others agree is why those systems no longer sell.

The "throw more CPU power at it and hope it works" philosophy works
fine
as long as there's plenty of CPU power for what you want to do. But
how long is that going to continue?

Seems to be increasing true wrt audio, given the continued rate of increase
in CPU horsepower and RAM size versus software requirement on it. Even
CPU-hungry plugins don't seem to be the problem they used to be.

This applies to everything I've ever done, except for video-rendering which
is and probably always will be ever-expanding in the resource demand dept

geoff