Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

In article , Trevor wrote:

In the days when computing power was far more limited than it is now, it was
a neccessity. But since I've had no problems doing all my multi-track audio
work on generic computers for the last decade, I'm not in a hurry to go down
the expensive, locked in, hope they might give you what you want/need
someday path ever again. Because so many others agree is why those systems
no longer sell.

The "throw more CPU power at it and hope it works" philosophy works fine
as long as there's plenty of CPU power for what you want to do. But how
long is that going to continue?

Some people might want a brand new Nagra tape machine too, but not enough to
make it a commercially viable business plan it seems.

Dunno, Nagra seems to be doing pretty well right now. They don't sell a lot
of analogue machines, but they're not out of the catalogue yet.
--scott