Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor[_3_] Trevor[_3_] is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
I like commercial operating systems too, and that is why I am so upset
that Microsoft and their financing model has driven most other commercial
operating systems out of the market.

There's Solaris. And there are some commercial Linux releases like Red
Hat and SuSE that give you commercial-grade support even if they don't
give you commercial-grade product up-front. And there's _sort of_ VMS
for a little while anyway.

But since the demise of BeOS there are NO realtime operating systems
intended for desktop use. There are some linux versions with
"soft-realtime" extensions and there are a lot of embedded system
RTOSes and there's sort of QNX if you can get them to deign to speak
to a mere customer.

But I really would like to see a purpose-built DAW again, on a platform
designed for the job.

In the days when computing power was far more limited than it is now, it was
a neccessity. But since I've had no problems doing all my multi-track audio
work on generic computers for the last decade, I'm not in a hurry to go down
the expensive, locked in, hope they might give you what you want/need
someday path ever again. Because so many others agree is why those systems
no longer sell.
Some people might want a brand new Nagra tape machine too, but not enough to
make it a commercially viable business plan it seems.

Trevor.