Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Phishing emails. Am I being too sensitive?

On 10/11/13 22:30, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 10/11/2013 11:34, tim...... wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Tim+ :
I got the below email last week and although it did refer to a domain
that I
own, I didn't like the way that the links to 123reg didn't appear to
lead
to 123reg.

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/Inaccu...%20details.eml

In case of doubt it's better to view the plain text version of the
message rather than the HTML. If you do that you'll find nothing more
suspicious than a missing apostrophe.

so the links to unknown third party sites go away in the plain text
version, do they?

Can't see any links to unknown third party sites... 8 or 9 go to
webfusion.com, and one to 123-reg.co.uk

The point is/was, webfusion was an unknown link to me. Given that the
standard way to check a link is to see if it links to where it says it
links to before you follow it, surely this is bad practice?

Tim

yeah I had this and checked at 123 to see if my registrations had in
fact run out. One nearly had, but strangely I think the renewal fee was
less at 123 than via the email...

My guess is they farm off details to webfusion who may make extra cash
if you are stupid enough to use them.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.