Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes[_2_] Mike Barnes[_2_] is offline

Default OT Phishing emails. Am I being too sensitive?

tim...... :

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message news:UK02TFVbO
Tim+ :
I got the below email last week and although it did refer to a domain
that I
own, I didn't like the way that the links to 123reg didn't appear to lead
to 123reg.

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/Inaccu...istration%20de
tails.eml

In case of doubt it's better to view the plain text version of the
message rather than the HTML. If you do that you'll find nothing more
suspicious than a missing apostrophe.

so the links to unknown third party sites go away in the plain text
version, do they?

Yes.

Quoted below is the plain text version, which as you can see, is totally
innocuous. There are no links, though an enthusiastic mail client might
display "www.123-reg.co.uk" as a link. The worst that could happen, if
it was phishing, is that you'd "log into the 123-reg control panel and
update the details in the domain management section" unnecessarily.

The plain text version is 100% safe and tells you all you need to know.
There's no point in the HTML, except to display the company's logo
(yawn), and to provide links that a sensible user would avoid clicking
on and a responsible company would not have sent out.

8----8----8----8----8----8----8----8----8----8----8----8----

URGENT Update your details now to avoid disruption to your services

Dear Tim,

We have important information regarding the .UK domain(s) you have
registered that requires your urgent attention.

Nominet, the .UK registry, carries out regular data quality checks to
combat fraudulent domain use to provide a safe and secure .UK domain
environment. Nominet have been unable to validate the following details
provided for the domains shown below:

Invalid Registrant Name

yyyyy.org.uk

In Nominets Terms and Conditions it states that registrants are required
to provide accurate name and contact information for their .UK domains,
so you are required to update your details to ensure they are up-to-
date.

To facilitate this Nominet have opened a Data Quality Window to provide
registrars with the means of correcting registrant information that has
failed validation. Normally, changing the registrant name for a .UK
domain can only be done directly at Nominet, at a 10 charge. However the
good news is that while the Data Quality Window is open this information
can be changed through 123-reg at no additional cost to yourselves.

To amend your registrant name or address for the above domains simply
log into the 123-reg control panel and update the details in the domain
management section. However please note that the window closes on 11th
February 2014 so please ensure your registration details are updated
before this date to avoid any charges and possible disruption to your
services.

Need more info?

If you have any questions about this or anything else relating to
123-reg dont hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to help.

Please visit our support site once you're logged in, click ASK A
QUESTION to send us a query email.

kind regards,

The 123-reg team
www.123-reg.co.uk

About us | Privacy policy
Copyright 123-reg - Part of Webfusion Ltd

Webfusion Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company
number 05306504. Our VAT number is 927 1292 22. The address of our
registered office is: 5 Roundwood Avenue, Stockley Park, Uxbridge,
Middlesex, UB11 1FF.

--
Mike Barnes