Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
side job scooter side job scooter is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

I'm so glad I dumped Windows and switched to Linux back in 05.

Scott

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 03:25:26 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Most in this group are knowledgeable computer users. But an occasional
reminder to "Beware!" can't hurt.

Some months back I installed the Microsoft compatibility update that
allows Office 2000 programs to read and write XML files (.docs, .xlsx,
etc). (It works fine, by the way.)

The problem is that the new formats appeared with Office 2007. Windows
Update now thought my Office software was the 2007 version. I started
receiving prompts to install security updates for it.

Common sense told me it wouldn't be a good idea to modify Office 2000
programs with Office 2007 updates. So when updates were needed, I
cleared the checkboxes for these. Unfortunately...

Yesterday, I accidentally clicked the wrong button, and they were
installed. It was particularly annoying that repeated clicks on the
"Halt the Update!" button had no effect.

The result was that Word 2000 (and the other Office components, I
assume) were buggered. The Preview display was screwed up, and I got
error messages when I tried to print.

Fortunately, reversing the updates' installation and restarting the
computer fixed the problem. I was out only 15 minutes' inconvenience.

Don't assume factory-recommended updates are appropriate. Look before
you leap, and all those other clichés.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land