Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring an Emerson Electric Baseboard

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:53:03 -0500, RBM wrote:

On 11/9/2013 10:56 PM, nestork wrote:
'Tiffany[_2_ Wrote:
;3147253']I bought an old farmhouse & I'm in the process of rewiring. I
have looked
everywhere on the unit but can't find if it's 120, 220 or what. I
tried
to search online but I'm left with more questions. I'm lost, please
help.

--
posted from
'Wiring an Emerson Electric Baseboard' (http://tinyurl.com/kfjuve3)

Tiffany:

Typically on 220 volt appliances, there will be three places to connect
the three wires going to the appliance, and those three places will be
in a recognizable "row". You always connect the white neutral wire to
the middle location and the red and black power wires to the outside
locations. It doesn't matter whether the black goes on this side or
that, or the red for that matter, as long as the white is in the middle
and the red and black are on either side, you're good.

If there is a location for a ground wire, it will not be on that
recognizable "row", for if it were, it could cause confusion.

So, look at the terminal block on that heater where you connect the
wires. If you see a recognizable "row" of three connection sites, it's
almost certainly a 220 volt heater. Otherwise, it's a 120 VAC heater,
in which case there will be only two connection points and possibly a
place to connect a ground wire as well.

You won't hurt a 220 volt appliance by trying to drive it with only 120
VAC. All that will happen is that the heating elements won't get nearly
as hot as they should.

So, maybe the safest bet is to try connecting 120 VAC to the heater and
see if it works properly. If not, it's probably cuz it needs 220 VAC
power.

Electric baseboard heaters don't use terminal blocks, they have wire
tails at both ends of the heater, so you can feed it from either end,
and they leave them wire nutted together so you don't have to open up
both ends to make your connections. It won't have a white neutral
connection, unless it is 120 volt

Correct - MOST 220 volt baseboard heaters will have 2 black or a
black and red, while a 120 will have a black and a white. What
wattage is the heater? Any model number on it??