Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 23:56:10 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

... the unelected Commission.

The commission might not be directly elected, but each commissioner is
appointed by the elected government of a member country.

It's still unelected

In the same way as the cabinet is.

and the electorate is not in a position to get rid of them.

All commissioners have a fixed five year term of office. The electorate
is not in a position to get rid of MPs outside of their fixed term,
either.

That is where our system scores: the electorate can get rid of any
politician it doesn't like. Oh, I was forgetting: except for MEPs, who
are elected using one of the ****ty continental systems - the PR list
system (which doesn't have by elections).

Short of murdering an incumbent, a Westminster by-election is not in the
gift of the electorate.