Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

On 08/11/2013 08:28, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 23:23:21 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Except that wasn't a vote for the EU

It was a vote to remain in the EU, so I find it difficult to conceive
how it could possibly be interpreted as anything other than a vote
for the EU.

I am too young to remember much of the detail, but I only recall talk at
the time of voting to enter/stay in the common market. No mention of the
EU or similar terminology. I get the string impression that is how
people at the time perceived what was on offer.

Because, at the time, it was called the "European Economic Community",
nicknamed "common market". The name change to "European Union" came later
- but the details which people seem to be objecting to (principally free
movement of people) were integral from the founding in the late '50s.

They may well have been. Remember though it was not simply a case of
browsing a web page if you wanted to call up the text of the agreement,
and read it for yourself.

The population was largely dependant on what the politicians told them,
and what was reported in the media.

The hard-of-thinking/Daily-Wail-gullible usually conflate the totally
separate European Convention on Human Rights, forgetting that the UK was
instrumental in creating that in the 1950s, and that the much-loathed
Human Rights Act merely allows breaches of the ECHR to be prosecuted in
British courts rather than having to be escalated to the European Court
of Human Rights. Strangely, none of them can ever point to which articles
of the convention they object to, either.

Interesting interpretation. However I suspect that most objections to
the "Human Rights Act" are in fact to the UK act of 1998, and act which
makes it illegal for any public body to contravene the ECHR unless
explicitly supported by national legislation. Hence all the uses of it
by prisoners demanding a vote, or terrorists not wanting to be deported
etc.

--
Cheers,

John.