Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On 11/8/2013 12:03 AM, Harry K wrote:

I split a lot (as of 10 cord plus/yr), most of it

manually. Used to replace the maul and sledge
handles about every 3 years. Finally put on the
rubber protectors. Only replaced one handle since
and have reset (not replaced) the maul handle 3 times.

Yes they work and yes, the rubber gets stiff but

it still comes off and goes back on without a problem.

Harry K

Were these fiberglass handles you'd been breaking?
With splitting, I'm sure there is no way to avoid
banging the handle up near the head. Glad to hear
that a good rubber helps keep you from breaking the
head off, while you're banging and splitting.

--
..
Christopher A. Young