Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:02:22 AM UTC-8, micky wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 15:10:49 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
That said, I've never broken a hammer or axe handle unless I have missed
the item I was trying to strike and hit the handle instead.

I saw a rubber thing that goes around a sledge hammer handle. I
like gadgets so I bought it. I have it just below the head. Does it
work? I suppose so, but I don't use the sledge that much and probably
have not hit it with a lethal blow, even if there were no rubber
collar.
It's transferable from one hammer or axe to the next, especially if
the handle is broken. It stretches enough to go over the thicker
parts of the handle, easily enough when new. And so it will be easy
to get off if the handle breaks. If the rubber gets stiffer after
10 years, ask me and I'll take a look at it.

I split a lot (as of 10 cord plus/yr), most of it manually. Used to replace the maul and sledge handles about every 3 years. Finally put on the rubber protectors. Only replaced one handle since and have reset (not replaced) the maul handle 3 times.

Yes they work and yes, the rubber gets stiff but it still comes off and goes back on without a problem.

Harry K