Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Default beware of the updates you install

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"sctvguy1" wrote in message ...

I dropped Windows years ago. Run Linux. No problems.

Does Linux run Word? Ventura? Photoshop? Interface with my AIBO? LEGOs? Canon
and Epson scanners?

I've had a Canon scanner for years, have never had a problem.

The reality is, most people (like the type who crosspost off-topic threads
like this to their favorite newsgroups rather than find the right place to
post it) experience Windows and nothing else. Hence everything has to
compare to it.

The one time I used Word was on a Mac Plus 19 years ago, it had a driver
for a plain printer rather than an Imagewriter, so I could use my old dot
matrix printer, using my Radio Shack Model 100 laptop as a serial to
parallel converter. I also bought it cheap at a garage sale.

I haven't a clue what Ventura is, and only know of Photoshop because
people talk about it.

Yes, I'm the odd one, I've never run Windows. I've dabbled in it, someone
else's computer or getting a "new" computer before I erase Windows. It's
really odd, I can't find things, I have no idea how to do specific things.
Sure, the general motions are the same, but people fit Windows because
that's what they know.

Since I've never really used WIndows, I have no comparison. GIMP works
for me, it does what I need. If it's missing something, I have no idea
since I've not used the overloaded Photoshop. There was a whole period,
fifteen years ago, when people would send me Word files that I couldn't
rad, but that's simmered down, they've caught on that files should be in a
more universal standard. Just because "everyone runs Windows" doesnt'
mean I should be seen as riffraff.

Over the years, I have had little trouble with Windows. Contrary to what some
people might think, it is not scarier than blueberry pancakes.

I never bought into it in th first place, barely used MSDOS for that
matter. I have absolutely no argument with WIndows, since I really know
little about it. I do have a big argument with people assuming the whole
world uses Windows, and if we don't, we are the problem.

Michael