Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 05:33:06 -0600, wrote:

For heavy construction and demolition, I use a 3lb sledge hammer. In
the past I have always purchased quality, name brand hammers with wooden
handles. Every year I break at least one handle, and the cost of the
replacement handles is almost as much as a new hammer, so I just buy a
new hammer.

I just broke another wooden handle, and went to buy another sledge
hammer. The place I went, no longer sells them with wooden handles.
They are all fiberglass handles now. I bought one, it cost about $3
more than the last time I bought one with a wooden handle. But if the
handle lasts longer, it will be well worth the extra $3.

But are they any better??? Will figerglass last longer? Somehow I cant
see where glass strands and epoxy will be stronger, in fact it seems
like it would be weaker. But I needed the hammer right away and did not
want to waste hours going to other stores.

Personally, I think those heavier hammers should have steel handles, and
I mean thick steel, not that cheap thin pipe they use on some cheap
carpenter hammers, which comes with a rubber grip that keeps sliding off
the handle.

(I'm seriously thinking of welding a piece of solid steel rod into one
of the hammer head of one of the broken handled hammers I have. I know
that wont break). Of course that will turn a 3lb hammer into a 4lb
hammer.

And it will feel like you are hitting with your bare hand. Wood and
fiberglass absorbe a lot of shock - the steel will ring all the way to
your spine!!. ANd yes, a good fiberglass handle is quite superior to
MOST wooden handled, as far as strength and durability are concerned.

I like them to have a rubber sleave over them down close to the head
to protect against hitting the handle against the workpiece.