Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] rand@thelampards.net is offline

Default Rotel RCD-855 Help Needed

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:58:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My beloved Rotel RCD-855, purchased new around 1990, has 'died'. My stereo is left powered on all the time and the power went out for less than two seconds the other night. A while later I noticed the all the display's segments were lit up.

I powered it off and back on with the same symptom. I powered it off for a few minutes and when I powered it on again, the display was/is completely dark though I can here some activity immediately after powering on. Nothing works, not even the drawer.

Confused (by changing display symptoms) and bummed. It's not worth having someone even look at it, I'm sure. But, it still sounded so great, I want to try and fix it myself. No idea where to start.

I found the service manual in PDF form - so far, so good.

Yes, somewhere around 200k hours on time. I'd guess no less than 175k.

I do have soldering skills though the patience where's quickly at times. Learned a long time ago to just walk away for a bit.

Funny thing, today they wife emailed me at work to tell me the power went out again and that the CD player 'is on'. Come home to see that display completely lit like when this first started. Regardless, time to read through the manual before I pull it out of the rack and have at it.