Larry Jaques

Default Jointer planes

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:12:08 -0500, Conan the Librarian
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I remember thinking the same thing from the pictures but will have
to find someone locally with a Veritas plane so I can try it out.

You really should. I was reading on woodcentral that some folks
can't even bring themselves to use the Veritas planes because they think
the totes are so ugly. For me it's a no-brainer if I'd prefer to have a
lovely, semi-comfortable tote vs. an ugly tote that fits like a glove.

Yes, comfort and control are where it's at.

But then I *use* my planes. :-)

I put several handfuls of redwood shavings from the mantle I
redid Monday, so there! I'll degloss and wax tomorrow,
then install on Saturday after the "known to the Republik of
Kalifornia to be harmful" fumes have outgassed from that nasty
J&J paste wax.

Agreed! And I'll probably go with a Veritas vs. a L-N due to
owning short crowbars and a proper Scottish wallet. (It screams
when you open it.)

You've certainly made that clear, Mr. Squeaky Britches. :-)

Of that I have no doubt.

Knowing what I know now, if I were starting from scratch buying
planes, I'd go almost exclusively with Veritas. I'd probably still have
an old Stanley jointer and fore, but for specialty planes, I don't think
you can get better bang for the buck than the Veritas.

I'm perfectly happy with the ugly^H^H^H^Hfull-of-character old
Stanleys. Maybe one of the new Veritas medium shoulder planes
will find its way here shortly after my birfday next month...
That or fix the li'l 1/2" Knight shoulder plane. It's one of his
earliest models and the epoxy didn't hold the brass sole on as
well as he'd hoped. Some jarrah ought to fix that.

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design