Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On 11/7/2013 6:33 AM, wrote:

But are they any better??? Will figerglass last longer? Somehow I cant
see where glass strands and epoxy will be stronger, in fact it seems
like it would be weaker. But I needed the hammer right away and did not
want to waste hours going to other stores.

From personal experience. My splitting maul had a wood handle. I'd go
through at least 2 a year. Then I got a fiberglass handle and it is
still in there 20 years later.

(I'm seriously thinking of welding a piece of solid steel rod into one
of the hammer head of one of the broken handled hammers I have. I know
that wont break). Of course that will turn a 3lb hammer into a 4lb
hammer.

It will also turn it into something that will eventually damage your
hands. You will feel every jolt.