Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 09:19:42 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

HerHusband wrote:
For heavy construction and demolition, I use a 3 lb sledge hammer.
In the past I have always purchased quality, name brand hammers with
wooden handles. Every year I break at least one handle, and the cost
of the replacement handles is almost as much as a new hammer, so I
just buy a new hammer.
I just broke another wooden handle, and went to buy another sledge
hammer. The place I went, no longer sells them with wooden handles.
They are all fiberglass handles now. I bought one, it cost about $3
more than the last time I bought one with a wooden handle. But if the
handle lasts longer, it will be well worth the extra $3.
But are they any better??? Will figerglass last longer? Somehow
I cant see where glass strands and epoxy will be stronger, in fact
it seems like it would be weaker.

I don't know about hammers, but fiberglass shovel handles are definitely
stronger than wood shovel handles. I used to break wooden shovel handles at
least once a year trying to dig out rocks and roots. I finally splurged on
a shovel with a fiberglass handle and have had the same shovel now for over
20 years.

That said, I've never broken a hammer or axe handle unless I have missed
the item I was trying to strike and hit the handle instead.

Personally, I think those heavier hammers should have steel handles,
and I mean thick steel, not that cheap thin pipe they use on some
cheap carpenter hammers, which comes with a rubber grip that keeps
sliding off the handle.

Steel doesn't absorb vibration the way wood or fiberglass does, and it adds
weight. Having said that my main framing hammer is a one piece steel design
with a nice rubber handle (has never slipped off). Being steel, the handle
tapers much thinner than a wood handle, I assume to save weight. I don't
know what brand it is, I've had it 15-20 years.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Hi,
I tried all three kinds, wood, fiberglass, steel. I still prefer wooden
handle.

But for the OP's sake, why? Because they last just as long as
fiberglass and have some other advantage, or in spite of the fact that
they don't last just as long?